Monday, September 15, 2008

"Mopeds are Dangerous!"


I. Hate. Mopeds.

Vespae, Hondas, what have you. Hate them.

This hatred stems not from some repressed experience that occurred while watching “Roman Holiday”, but from my time on Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts.

On the Vineyard, tourists who have not ridden a bike in 40 years think that it is a great idea to rent mopeds to see the sights, and proceed to drive at 15 mph in the center lane of the only major roads on the island, and, because they have lost that precious thing called balance, they often fall.

(I will admit that it is comical when they fall.)

Anyways, Vineyard residents hate the mopeds, and many of them have bumper stickers that read, “Mopeds are Dangerous!” (hence the post title). They have even been known to shout this as they pass the slow-moving mopeds (slowpeds?).

So, why does this have me worked up now?

Mopeds are invading DC. (!!!! Run for the hills!!! Or for the Hill!!!!)

Personally, I blame the hipsters, but that’s a vendetta best saved for another entry on another day. Come on people! DC has a great metro/metro bus system, and is an extremely walkable city. If you are commuting in from Virginia or Maryland, there are Metro stops there, too. It’s called park-and-ride.

These DC two-wheelers have managed to meld the worst characteristics of city bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. More than once, I have had to restrain myself from opening the door as a moped zipped down the lane line as I was waiting in traffic. They do not obey traffic laws, but insist on using the streets.

They must be stopped… Who’s with me?!

No one? Damn.

No comments: